Choosing the right roof shingles is important for both the durability and aesthetics of your home.
Over the past year, our team at McClellands Contracting and Roofing LLC has really invested in understanding what makes roof shingles stand out. We’ve tested different materials and brands, listened to homeowners, and considered factors like durability, cost-effectiveness, and style.
We also looked at how well they stand up to different weather conditions and how easy they are to install and maintain. This guide is a summary of all that!
In this guide, we explore the best roof shingles of 2024, diving into top brands and types.
Explore The Best Roofing Shingles And Brands For Your Home
There are many different types of roofing shingles to choose from, and not all shingles are created equally. Some may work better than others, depending on your preference, the roof’s design, and other factors.
Below, we’ll review the best roofing shingles we found through our study and tests, along with their manufacturers.
#1 Asphalt Shingle Roofs
One of the most popular types of roofing materials is asphalt shingle. They’re easy to install and come in many different colors and textures to complement any style of home or business. They’re also relatively affordable compared to other options.
Many companies make asphalt roofing shingles, but only a few can deliver quality products. The top three asphalt shingle companies include GAF, Owens Corning, and CertainTeed. However, we’re narrowing down the different types of asphalt shingles on the market and identifying the best roofing shingles based on their category by choosing the roofing material with a long performance history.
a. 3-Tab Asphalt Shingles
Three-tab shingles are the most affordable type of asphalt shingles. If you’re looking for a good deal on a 3-tab asphalt shingle, then IKO MarathonTM Plus AR is the right choice for you.
- This shingle has some interesting features that make it stand out from the crowd.
- They’re made with a fiberglass mat that gives them exceptional durability and strength.
- You can trust that these shingles will protect your home from wind, blow-off, and water penetration.
- Plus, they seal extremely well, a feature that’s important to ensure a long life for your roof.
- These high-end 3-tab shingles are designed to be algae-resistant.
- They’re also Class A fire-rated, so you can feel confident that they’ll help keep your family safe from fire hazards in an emergency.
- Best of all, a limited lifetime warranty backs this product!
b. Architectural Asphalt Shingles
We all want a roof that looks good and lasts for years to come. We also want a roof that will protect our homes from fierce weather conditions. That’s why 3-tab asphalt shingles got upgraded to architectural asphalt shingles. These shingles are more resilient and come with beautiful 3D patterns and vibrant colors. Brands like GAF, CertainTeed, and Owens Corning are offering the best architectural shingle lines in 2024.
One of the most favorable choices is America’s best-selling roof shingle: GAF Timberline HDZ® Shingles.
- These architectural shingles are available in several different colors and styles so that you can find the perfect match for your home.
- They’re also available in different sizes, so you can get what you need without worrying about finding an exact match.
- Crafted for strength and resilience, Timberline HDZ® Shingles excel in withstanding high winds and extreme weather, setting a high standard in the market.
- Featuring innovative LayerLock® Technology and the StrikeZone™ nailing area, these shingles provide remarkable adherence to your roof deck, significantly reducing the risk of blow-off during intense wind conditions.
- What’s more, these shingles are designed with advanced algae resistance, thanks to the 25-year StainGuard Plus™ Algae Protection Limited Warranty, ensuring your roof maintains its pristine appearance for a prolonged period.
- Our favorite part about these GAF shingles? They come with a lifetime limited warranty. This means you’ll get peace of mind knowing that your roof will last for years.
c. Premium Or Luxury Asphalt Shingles
If you’re looking for dramatic aesthetics and high durability, premium shingles are your best bet. Wondering if luxury shingles are worth your money? The answer is yes. They can last longer than 3-tab and architectural shingles and require less upkeep, even in harsh weather conditions.
The Grand Manor shingles by CertainTeed are among the best high-end shingles in 2024.
- They are super heavy, weighing around 425 pounds per square. This makes them extremely durable and able to stand up to impact, which means they’ll protect your home in style.
- They’re also wind, fire, and tear-resistant, so you can rest easy knowing your roof is protecting you and your family.
- As a bonus, these premium asphalt shingles have a limited lifetime warranty on roofing material and workmanship. So if anything happens during installation or after, such as finding a manufacturer defect, you’ll be covered by CertainTeed’s guarantee.
#2 Impact Resistant Shingles
- They are fortified with their NEX® Polymer Modified (Rubberized) technology which helped these shingles get the Class 4 impact rating (highest rating in roofing products).
- This makes them an excellent choice for protecting your home from hail, which is especially important in the Midwest.
- Malarkey makes sure that every one of its shingles has been rigorously tested before it goes on sale. That’s why these shingles have been rated “Excellent” or “Good” in every performance category of the latest IBHS Hail Impact Study.
- When you choose Malarkey as your shingle brand, you’re getting shingles that are made better, last longer and are more sustainable.
#3 Composite Roof Shingles
Composite roofing shingles are made from different materials than asphalt shingles. They are made from a mix of natural and synthetic materials like fiberglass, rubber, and plastic, which makes them more sturdy and durable.
DaVinci Roofscapes has a great selection if you’re looking for composite or synthetic roofing shingles.
- DaVinci makes it easy to get the look of a natural wood roof without having to deal with maintenance.
- Their shake-style shingles are available in various colors and shades, so you can get the look you want without sacrificing quality. We love their Bellaforté shake and slate shingles.
- DaVinci’s products are Class 4 impact rated, which means they can withstand hail, debris, and storm damage.
- When you invest in a DaVinci roof, you’re investing in quality and safety for the next 50 years!
#4 Solar Roof Shingles
When it comes to solar shingles, you want something that will last.
CertainTeed’s Apollo II shingles are a good option if you want solar shingles that are durable and reliable products while also being conscious of the environment.
- The company uses monocrystalline silicon solar cells in its panels, so you know you’re getting the best quality solar panel possible.
- This product is only compatible with asphalt shingle roofs, not metal or wood ones, so check your roof before deciding to make the switch.
- These shingles come in a standard size of 14 all-black monocrystalline cells that average 70 watts per shingle, with a 25-year limited power warranty.
- The CertainTeed shingles also include water channels to help protect against leaks.
#5 Metal Roof Shingles
Did you know metal roofs can also look like wood shingles, clay tiles, and slate roofs? Explore different metal roof shingles, and you might find an option that speaks to you.
We work with a lot of different brands and products, and Tamko’s Metalworks shingles have always been our number one choice for metal roofing shingles.
- They’re made from 28-gauge steel and come in nine beautiful, bold colors.
- Metalworks shingles are available in smooth and textured finishes, so you can find a look that works best for your home.
- They’re also super easy to install, even on the most complicated roofs.
- Metalworks is an environmentally friendly product made of 100% recyclable material and Energy Star Qualified and rated high by Cool Roofing Council in reducing cooling costs.
- It’s also one of the more affordable options on the market.
#6 Tile Roof Shingles
These roofs aren’t as common as other options, but homeowners still favor tile roofs for their durability and Mediterranean look. Tile roofs are typically made from clay or concrete, which means they’ll last for decades, but this also means that installing this heavy material can be quite expensive because of how much labor goes into it!
Eagle Roofing’s concrete tiles are a great choice if you’re looking for a tile roof that is engineered to last decades.
- These tiles have been tested to meet the roofing industry’s highest standards and are built to withstand impact, fire, and high wind gusts. They look great and fit any architectural style.
- Eagle Roofing provides a range of colors for its concrete roofing tiles. You can find them in black, brown, red, gray, and a natural cement option.
- Their high barrel tiles, or S-tiles, are semi-cylindrical concrete tiles.
- Their Capistrano shingle has an upper barrel profile that’s beautiful and timeless. It emulates the authentic look of a Spanish tiled roof.
#7 Wood Shingle Roof
Wood shingles are a beautiful way to add rustic charm to your home, especially cedar shake shingles. Knowing what makes one brand better than another can take a lot of work when choosing wood shingles, but after our research, we can say we now love the Certi-Sawn red cedar shingles by Watkins Sawmills.
- These shingles are made with western red cedar, a natural, luxurious, and low carbon footprint roofing product that has been used as durable roofing material for over a century.
- They’re also sawn on both faces to offer a more smooth and uniform look.
#8 Wood Shake Roof
If you’re looking for a rustic and natural roofing shingle, Forest Products Supply Co. offers cedar shakes.
- These hand-split shakes are rough and variable as if they’ve been split from a tree and replicate the look of an ax or mallet cut.
- These cedar shakes are so beautiful they’ll make your house look the best on the block by adding tremendous curb appeal to the exterior of your home.
- As if their aesthetic appeal wasn’t enough, these shingles are also extremely durable and of the highest quality.
- They’re 100 percent sustainable and natural, making them significantly more environmentally friendly than asphalt shingles.
How To Choose The Best Roofing Shingles?
If you’re looking to replace your roof, there are a lot of factors to consider. The first thing to do is look at the weather in your area and how often it rains. Do you live in an area with a lot of snow? How often do hurricanes hit? These important questions will help you choose the right shingle for your roof.
The next thing to consider is how much the shingles will cost. Some shingles are more expensive than others, but you may find that they last longer or offer better protection from weather damage than cheaper options. You should also consider whether you plan to live in the house for a long time and if it’s worth spending extra money on a high-end product if you plan to move out soon.
Finally, look into local building codes before making any decisions about what kind of roofing materials will work best for your home. Some areas require certain types of materials for their residents’ safety and well-being, so be sure to remember this step!
Which Roof Shingles Brand Is Best?
When it comes to roofing shingles, there are many brands and manufacturers to choose from, but we at McClellands Contracting & Roofing LLC believe that GAF makes the best roofing shingles on the market.
GAF has a long history of producing high-quality roofing products and is a trusted name in the industry. Their roofing shingles are durable and long-lasting and come in a wide variety of colors and styles to suit any home or building.
Moreover, GAF also offers excellent warranties on its roofing products. The Golden Pledge Limited Warranty, which lasts for 20, 25, or 30 years (depending on the type of shingles you choose), provides coverage for the workmanship of your new roof.
We take pride in providing the residents of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with high-quality roofing products from GAF.
If you’re looking for roofing options, there are many products to consider, but if you’re planning on staying in your home for a long time, it’s worth investing in quality shingles.
Roofing contractors can help you better understand available options, including a product’s durability and cost. They can help you find the best roof shingles for your home and budget.
When choosing a roofing contractor, look for someone with experience installing the type of shingles you want. Make sure they have references from past customers and proof of insurance and licenses for their work.
McClellands Contracting and Roofing LLC is a full-service roofing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We specialize in all types of roofing, including flat roofs, metal roofs, and more. Our experienced team is always ready to help homeowners in the greater Pittsburgh area with their roofing needs.
Give us a call today at (412) 353-5660, and learn more about the best roofing shingles of 2024.