If you’ve been thinking about replacing the windows in your basement, you may be concerned about the total cost. But a basement window replacement doesn’t have to break the bank. There are plenty of sturdy and durable options that keep water and pests away from your foundation and out of your home. Plus they look great, too.
In this blog post, we will go over some tips for cutting down the cost of installing new basement windows, and include some of the best brands on the market this year.
How To Save Money On Basement Window Replacement in 2023
Here are ten expert-backed tips to guide you through the process:
1. Embrace Energy Efficiency
When it comes to choosing new windows, always think about energy efficiency. Not only will these windows keep your basement cozy, but they’ll also lower your energy bills. Look for windows with multiple panes and low-E coatings. These types of features prevent heat transfer, keeping your basement warm in winter and cool in summer.
Low-E Coatings: Improved Efficiency
Low-E (low emissivity) coatings work by reflecting radiant heat. They act as a thermal barrier, keeping the temperature inside your basement steady without straining your HVAC system. This means more comfort and lower expenses.
Double or Triple Pane: The More, The Merrier
Double and triple-pane windows provide enhanced insulation. The air trapped between the panes acts as a buffer, minimizing heat exchange. This keeps cool air inside during the summer and warm air in during the winter.
2. DIY vs. Professional Installation
While you may be able to tackle certain home projects the DIY way, replacing basement windows is an intricate and careful task. Improper installation can lead to leaks and increased energy use. Consider your skill level and the complexity of the project. Sometimes, paying for a professional installation can save you money in the long run.
3. Explore Local Deals and Discounts
Before shopping for windows or hiring someone for the job, explore local deals and discounts. Many manufacturers and window replacement contractors offer special promotions for a limited period or throughout the year. Research their authenticity, reputation, and experience, then contact the companies for further details.
4. Compare Multiple Quotes
Before settling on a contractor or supplier, gather multiple quotes. Prices can vary for the same product or service. Take your time to compare and negotiate, and you might be surprised at how much you can save by shopping around.
5. Salvage or Donate Old Windows
Don’t discard your old basement windows just yet. If they’re still in good condition, consider donating them to local charities or salvage stores. Some places might even offer you a tax deduction for your donation. It’s a great idea for the environment.
6. Research Rebates and Tax Credits
Some government agencies and utility companies often offer rebates and tax credits for energy-efficient home improvements. Do some research and find out if your basement window replacement project qualifies for any of the available incentives. These can help offset the cost of the project.
7. Opt For Standard Sizes
Custom-made basement windows can quickly escalate your project’s cost. To keep your budget in check, opt for standard window sizes. They’re more readily available and generally come at a lower price point compared to custom options.
8. Consider Retrofitting
Retrofitting involves installing new window inserts into existing frames. This can be a cost-effective alternative to full-frame replacement, especially if your window frames are in good condition. It’s a simpler way to upgrade your windows while not breaking the bank.
9. Plan Ahead for Seasonal Sales
Timing is everything when it comes to saving money on any home renovation or repair project. Plan your project around seasonal sales, like Black Friday or end-of-season clearances. You can snag some incredible deals during these periods, making your wallet happy and reducing the project cost.
10. Don’t Skimp on Quality
While we’re all about saving money, don’t compromise on quality. Investing in durable, well-crafted basement windows will pay off in the long run. Quality windows last longer, require fewer repairs, and maintain their energy-saving properties over time.
Now that you’re armed with cost-saving tips, let’s explore the top basement window options available in 2023.
Top 3 Replacement Windows For Basements In 2023
We’ve selected the following brands after carefully analyzing their windows on the basis of performance, durability, cost-effectiveness, and more.
#1 Marvin’s Ultimate Awning Windows (Signature® Collection)
Explore the Marvin catalog for energy-efficient solutions tailored to your climate.
- Durable aluminum meets timeless wood in Marvin’s Ultimate Awning window. This fusion delivers strength and sleek aesthetics, as the aluminum exterior adds modern appeal while the wooden interior radiates warmth.
- Imagine fresh breezes and cascading sunlight even in the darkest corners of your basement. The Ultimate Awning window is your solution, with its top-hinge design offering an alternative to traditional casement windows, bringing life to every area of your home.
- Elegance merges with peace of mind through the multi-point locking system and optional IZ3 coastal and hurricane certification. With these windows, durability, and safety are paramount.
- The Ultimate Awning window also contributes to increased energy efficiency. Dual-pane glass with low-E coatings and argon gas keeps your home comfortable while conserving energy.
#2 Fibrex® Windows by Renewal by Andersen
Renewal by Andersen’s Fibrex® windows represents a remarkable innovation in basement window options. Patented by Andersen in 1992, Fibrex is a composite material that boasts unparalleled strength, insulation, and architectural beauty. Fibrex windows offer an impressive set of advantages.
- Its strength allows for narrower frames, creating more room for glass and enhancing your view.
- The material’s thermal insulating properties, when combined with their high-performance Low-E4® glass, contribute to exceptional energy efficiency, keeping your home comfortable year-round.
- Unlike wood, aluminum, fiberglass, or vinyl, Fibrex doesn’t require painting, and it resists rot, decay, and mold.
- Moreover, Fibrex is environmentally responsible. It incorporates reclaimed wood fiber and meets Energy Star® criteria, making it an eco-friendly choice for conscious homeowners.
#3 Pella® Impervia® Windows
Impervia Windows by Pella Corporation stands as a testament to superior strength, durability, and timeless elegance.
- What sets Impervia windows apart is their long-lasting powder-coat finish that meets AAMA 624 standards, ensuring resilience against the elements.
- The versatility of design elements, sleek profiles, and a diverse range of colors make Impervia windows perfect for any architectural or personal style.
- These windows have been rigorously tested against extreme cold and heat, and their powder-coat finish guarantees no fading or chipping.
- Furthermore, Impervia windows offer energy-efficient glass options that ensure year-round home comfort.
Apart from these leading products, there are many more window styles out there with similar benefits. For more information, consult an experienced and renowned window replacement contractor and select the best windows for your basement.
By following these expert insights and utilizing the right cost-saving strategies, you can transform your basement into a well-lit, energy-efficient, and comfortable space without breaking the bank.
If you are looking for new basement windows in Pittsburgh or the surrounding areas in Pennsylvania, our team will be happy to be your guide.
Take Advantage Of A Free Consultation And Estimate On Basement Window Replacement In Pittsburgh, PA
Are you ready to install your dream windows? At McClellands Contracting and Roofing, we’re ready to make your basement more safe and comfortable than ever before. Our commitment goes beyond just windows – it’s about creating spaces that reflect your unique style and comfort needs. With a legacy of excellence, we understand that your home is more than just walls, it’s where memories with family and friends are made. If you need reliable basement window replacement services in Pittsburgh, call us at (412) 353-5660. Join the countless homeowners who have made us their top choice for window services.
Frequently Asked Questions
A. You should replace your basement windows if they are starting to show signs of wear. This can be peeling paint, drafts, or a sudden increase in your energy bills. Older windows may not seal properly, leading to temperature fluctuations and moisture infiltration.
A. There isn’t one type of basement window that is best, you should choose based on your specific needs. Choose egress windows to ensure safety and emergency exits. Opt for slider windows for top-notch ventilation and abundant light, and choose casement windows for an airtight seal and energy efficiency in your basement.
A. The standard height of basement windows is 12 to 24 inches tall, with a length of 30 to 36 inches. However, it’s important to note that these dimensions can vary based on local building codes, specific design preferences, and the intended purpose of the basement area.