Are you experiencing leaks or damage to your garage roof? As a trusted roofing company in Pittsburgh, McClellands Contracting and Roofing, LLC understands the importance of addressing these issues quickly to prevent more significant problems from occurring. That’s why we’ve created this comprehensive guide on garage roof repair.
We want to share our expertise with you, so you can make informed decisions about repairing your garage roof. In this guide, we’ll discuss the causes of leaks, the pros, and cons of DIY repairs versus professional help, the cost of repairs, how to fix a leaking garage roof, and preventing future garage roof damage.
So, whether you’re a DIY enthusiast or seeking professional help, we’ve got you covered. Let’s dive in!
What Causes Your Garage Roof To Leak?
Your garage roof is exposed to the elements year-round, which means it’s susceptible to wear and tear. Over time, this can lead to cracks, missing or curling shingles, and damaged flashing, which all cause water to seep through a roof and into your garage.
Additionally, rainwater can accumulate on your roof and seep under shingles, leading to moisture buildup that causes support beams and rafters to rot. It’s important to keep an eye out for warning signs, such as rusty, buckled, bent, or missing flashing, roof valley sagging, and leaking. To prevent further damage, consider installing drip edges to allow water to drain off the roof without causing harm.
Even a small leak can lead to significant structural damage if ignored for too long, so it’s essential to address any repairs quickly. As roofers who have been doing roof repair work for years, we recommend regular inspections to catch any issues early and prevent more costly repairs down the road.
Garage Roof Repair Cost
When it comes to repairing your garage roof, the cost can vary depending on several factors. The type of roof, the extent of the damage, and the materials needed for repair can all impact the final price. Typically, flat garage roof repair tends to be more expensive than pitched roofs due to the extra labor required to ensure proper drainage.
Minor repairs, such as garage roof leak repair, may only cost a few hundred dollars. However, more significant repairs or complete garage roof replacements can cost several thousand dollars. On average, you can expect to spend around $700 to $1,000 for repairs.
Remember, investing in garage roof repairs can save you money in the long run by preventing more extensive damage and costly repairs down the line.
How To Fix A Leaking Garage Roof
Fixing a leaking garage roof can seem daunting, but with careful inspection and identification of the source of the leak, you can tackle the problem effectively. Here are some steps to follow:
1. Identify the source of the leak: Look for signs of damage, such as missing or damaged roofing material, cracks, or holes in the roof.
2. Gather the necessary tools and materials: Depending on the cause of the leak, you may need roofing cement, roofing nails, a hammer, a putty knife, or replacement shingles.
3. Take safety precautions: Wear non-slip shoes, use a sturdy ladder, and ensure that the area around the garage is clear of debris.
4. Repair the leak: Depending on the source of the leak, you may need to patch a hole, replace damaged shingles, or reinforce the roof’s structure. Make sure to apply roofing cement to seal any cracks or holes and replace any damaged portions.
5. Perform regular maintenance: To prevent future leaks, perform regular roof inspections and maintenance, such as cleaning gutters and trimming nearby trees.
How To Extend The Life Of Your Garage Roof
Want to keep your garage roof in top shape for as long as possible? The good news is that it’s easier than you might think! With a little regular maintenance and some smart preventative measures, you can extend the life of your garage roof and save yourself time and money in the long run. Here’s how:
- Schedule roof inspections regularly with a professional contractor to catch issues early and prevent further damage.
- Keep gutters clean to ensure proper drainage and prevent water from seeping into the roof.
- Trim trees nearby to prevent branches from falling on the roof and causing damage.
- Remove any debris, such as leaves or branches, that accumulates on the roof.
- Don’t wait to address any signs of damage, such as cracked or missing shingles, to prevent bigger problems down the road.
Is It Better To Patch Or Replace Your Garage Roof?
When it comes to repairing your garage roof, you may wonder whether it’s better to patch up the problem or replace the entire roof altogether. The answer depends on several factors, including the extent of the damage, the age of your roof, and your budget. Here are some things to consider:
Age Of Your Garage Roof
If your roof is approaching the end of its lifespan, replacement may be a better option. The average lifespan of a garage roof is around 20 years, depending on the materials used.
The Extent Of Damage
If the damage to your garage roof is localized, such as a few damaged shingles or a small hole, patching may be sufficient. However, if the damage is extensive and affects a large portion of your roof, replacement may be necessary.
While a garage roof replacement can be more expensive than patching, it can also be more cost-effective in the long run. A new roof can increase your home’s value, energy efficiency, and curb appeal, while a patch job may only provide a temporary fix.
If you choose to patch your garage roof, you’ll likely need to continue performing maintenance and repairs in the future. A roof replacement, on the other hand, can provide you with peace of mind and require less maintenance in the long run.
DIY Garage Roof Repair vs. Professional Help
When it comes to repairing your garage roof, it’s important to make the best decision for your home and safety. While DIY roof repair may seem like a cost-effective option, it can lead to further damage and risk of injury.
A professional and experienced roofing contractor is the way to go for safe and effective repairs. Here are some reasons why:
- Roof repair requires knowledge and expertise that only a licensed professional can provide.
- DIY roof repairs can lead to costly mistakes, causing more damage to your garage roof.
- Working at heights can be dangerous and puts you at risk of injury.
- Professional roofers can provide preventative maintenance tips to prolong the life of your garage roof.
- Hiring a professional can save you time and money in the long run.
In conclusion, taking care of your garage roof is crucial to protecting your home and belongings from the elements. Whether you’re a DIY enthusiast or prefer to leave it to the professionals, safety and quality work should always come first.
McClellands Contracting and Roofing, LLC understands the value of a sturdy and reliable roof. Our friendly, experienced professionals are dedicated to providing exceptional service and expertise to ensure that your garage roof is repaired quickly and effectively.
Don’t let a leaky garage roof cause more damage to your home. Contact us today, at (412) 353-5660 to schedule an inspection, and let us help you with your garage roof repair needs.