Have you ever noticed that sometimes the attic of your home is excessively hot and is causing your roof problems? Attic ventilation is essential to maintain the roof’s condition. It also contributes to the well-being of the overall property. A great way to get rid of this problem is to install attic ventilation fans.
If you are not well-versed in residential roofing, attic fans will be a pretty new concept to you. This is why our McClellands Contracting and Roofing LLC team is here to help you improve your attic ventilation. Our experts have researched the best attic fans that can help increase air circulation in your attic space. Below you will find a list of the top 6 attic fans that are popular on the market. But before moving ahead, let us find out why ventilation is crucial for your home.
Why Is Attic Ventilation Necessary?
The attic is the area of your home that is just below the roofing system. During the hot summer months, the sun can heat up the roof and attic space, causing the temperature inside the attic to rise significantly. This can lead to heat damage on parts of the roof and the house’s structure. Proper ventilation helps to remove this excess heat and moisture from the attic, which in turn helps extend the roof’s life and protect the integrity of your home.
Using attic ventilation fans can improve the airflow of your home. Here are some other benefits of these fans:
- Prevents ice dams from forming on the roof in winter
- Improves indoor air quality
- Reduces energy costs by regulating the temperature in the attic
- Maintains the efficiency and integrity of the house, and improves occupant health and comfort
Best Attic Ventilation Fans Available (2023)
We’ll be looking at the best attic ventilation fans available on the market in 2023. We will compare their features and cost and provide a buying guide to help you make an informed decision.
iLiving Exhaust Fan
The iLiving Exhaust Fan is a high-performing and affordable wall-mounted fan for homes. If you are on a strict budget and are looking for attic fans that are a bang for your buck, then the iLiving ILG8SF12V will perfectly satisfy you. This attic fan can improve ventilation at a much lower cost than others. This wall-mounted exhaust fan range is suitable for residential and commercial use. But on the downside, its CFM (cubic feet per minute) speed is relatively lower than other products.
- iLiving Exhaust Fan is a simple, easy-to-install fan that provides adequate air circulation and ventilation of up to 960 CFM.
- It is a 12″ variable-speed exhaust fan that comes with an automatic shutter. The shutter closes and prevents pests and drafts from entering through the gaps in the fan.
- You get a wide variety with this product line. This attic fan is available in more than ten varieties, each with different fan sizes and features.
- If you want added functionality from this product, you can also purchase this 12″ fan with a thermostat controller.
This is one of the most cost-effective products on our list. You can get this attic fan for under $100 from Home Depot and Amazon. It is even cheaper if you only want the fan (without a power cord). Though overall a value-for-money product, it does have some limitations, such as being noisier than other fans on the market.
Quiet Cool Smart AFM
If you are looking for an all-rounder attic ventilation fans with modern features that can significantly improve the attic airflow, you should consider QuietCool 2830 Smart AFM. This type of gable fan comes with a 20-foot power cord. It has a variable 3-speed ultra-energy efficient ECM motor (electronically communicated motor system). This fast-speed electric motor makes it one of the most robust attic fans available on the market and can easily provide ventilation for an area of 4,000-5,000 square feet.
The QuietCool 2830 Smart AFM can run at a high speed of 3000 CFM at a power of 148 watts.
Like the product’s name, this fan by QuietCool is really smart. It comes with a built-in thermostat and humidistat, which means that these gable attic fans are smart enough to adjust according to the temperature in the attic. Therefore, during the hot and humid summer days, the fan ECM motor will run faster to dissipate the air and will change to lower speed cycles once the temperature in the attic decreases.
Another feature of this smart fan is that you can easily control it with the QuietCool Smart app control on your phone. You can use the app from anywhere in the house which allows you to quality control your attic without even needing to be in the room.
Master Flow Roof Mount Attic Vent
As we have seen, roof-mount attic ventilation systems differ from gable-mounted fans. The Master Flow ERV5 and ERV6 are powerful roof-mount attic fans that can effectively maintain adequate ventilation in the attic area and a comfortable temperature in your home. It is manufactured by one of the most trusted brands, GAF.
- Though this product has a small, compact build it can regulate an attic of up to 2,800 square feet in size.
- This GAF roof mount ventilation fan can withstand winds of up to 110 mph and comes with a solid, heavy-duty insect screen.
- This roof ventilation system can offer you high energy efficiency. It consumes 10-15% less energy (electricity) when compared to other attic ventilation fans in the same range.
- Its PSC-enabled motor allows you to save a lot on your heating and cooling bills as your HVAC systems will also run adequately.
However, unlike the QuietCool Smart AFM, this product does not come with a built-in humidistat, so there may be trouble monitoring the humidity levels of your attic, but you can purchase it as an add-on.
The product comes with the brand name of GAF and is, therefore suitably priced. You can find this 1250 CFM version for around $139 at Home Depot. The shingle match, weather wood version (1500 CFM) for larger attics, is available for $165.
Broan-Nu Tone Solar Powered Attic Ventilation Fan
Reducing energy consumption and making your home more energy efficient is the need of the hour. As a homeowner who wants to contribute to the environment, you can consider the Broan-NuTone 345SOBK attic fan.
It is a surface-mounted home ventilator system that uses solar energy instead of electricity. This stylish, square-shaped attic fan includes a built-in solar panel. That is, it will use the sun’s rays to help run and maintain the temperature of your attic and home. This is suitable for an area of 1,200-1,300 square feet.
- The BROAN 345SOBK Attic Ventilator is equipped with a 28-watt solar panel that captures sunlight from dawn to dusk and converts it into electric power to keep the attic cooler.
- This fan provides 537 CFM (cubic feet per minute) of ventilation, suitable for small to medium-sized attics.
- It has a compact and durable design.
- The fan has a 12″ diameter and five straight blades made from one-piece aluminum for durable and rust-resistant performance.
- The structure is moded with UV-stabilized and color-dyed ABS plastic.
One issue with the product is the absence of thermostat control. The solar-powered fan will continue to run only until there is sunlight; this can concern homeowners.
This ventilation fan can cost around $340-$350. This solar-powered attic fan can help you increase the energy efficiency of your home in the long run. However, you need to purchase the thermostat separately.
Cool Attic Gable Mount Power Attic Ventilator
The product is one of the best-selling gable vents on the market today. This gable-mounted attic vent is a 1300 CFM (cubic feet per minute) standard attic exhaust ventilator made of galvanized steel, and it’s designed to fit 1,850 square feet of attic space. It comes with an adjustable thermostat and a 14″ fan blade.
This gable-mount attic ventilation fan works smoothly and makes much less noise than other gable-based fans. This is because it uses a precise four-blade system that creates low vibrations when running. You will hardly notice the sound of it when it’s running.
The Cool Attic Gable Mount is one of the affordable systems with its 14″ CX1500 variant available under the $100 price tag. However, stronger attic fans, such as the CX 1600 variant, are more costly.
Most of the vents that have been featured on our list are suitable for small to medium-sized attics. If your property has a larger attic, or you are interested in purchasing an attic fan for a larger area, such as a barn, then MaxxAir IF24 powerful industrial exhaust fan can be your best choice. This is constructed of 20 gauge steel housing and is suitable for agricultural and industrial applications.
- This is a heavy-duty product that is ideally suited for industrial areas. It has rust-resistant galvanized steel housing.
- The strong motor can run at a speed of up to 4,100 CFM
- The vent comes with pre-drilled holes that make it easier for contractors to mount it. Both the safety grille and energy-efficient PSC motor are OSHA compliant.
- The industrial exhaust fan promises to deliver exceptional results regardless of the type of property.
Since it’s a powerful vent suited for industrial properties, its price is higher than regular residential attic fans. Investing in this product can cost you around $250-$300 for a 24-inch variant. An even larger variant of 30 inches or 36 inches is also available.
Need Help With Ventilation Services?
McClellands Contracting and Roofing LLC is your best bet for roof ventilation services, especially if you live in Pennsylvania, as we have been serving the Greater Pittsburgh area for years.
We are your one-stop shop for all your attic fan installation needs. From exhaust attic fans to roof vents, we’ve got the expertise to install them. We’re also experts at installing ventilation systems in sloped roofs and flat roofs.
Moreover, we are licensed, bonded, and insured. We take pride in our work and offer services to fit your roofing needs. Whether you want to install a new system or repair an existing one, we can help. Contact us at (412) 353-5660, for a free roof inspection.